After you’ve said I Do, you’ll be jetting off to your honeymoon... And we already know that you want to look smoking hot relaxing on the beach with your new husband (doesn’t it feel great to say that?).
1. Limit salt, avoid bloat: Sodium makes your body retain water which causes bloating. But if you limit salt intake and drink half your body weight in ounces of water, you'll maintain proper hydration which helps the body carry out excess fat, toxins, and regular digestion functions.
2. Switch it up: It's easy to stick with the same tried and true workout routine once you've mastered it. But to achieve optimal results, you'll want to try different workouts to keep your body on its toes. Using the same workout routine year after year causes your body to plateau once it's mastered the strength level needed to perform that particular exercise. So it's crucial to constantly challenge the abdominals with new, different workouts. Rotate which movements you do for the stomach and core and progressively build to more challenging exercises.
3. Include cardio: The proper diet and strength training is not enough to get your abs in tip top shape. Cardiovascular exercises are extremely important. Shoot for 30 minutes of moderately intense cardio 3 days a week to get honeymoon ready!
4. Include the RIGHT cardio: Just because you exercise doesn't mean that you are going to lose weight. If weight loss is one of your goals, make sure your heart rate stays in the optimal 'fat burning zone' while doing your cardio exercises. This optimal zone is 65% of your max heart rate and to determine your max heart rate, take 220 less your age. So since I'm 25, my max heart rate is 195. Multiply this number by .65 (127 for me), and you'll get your optimal fat burning zone to target during cardio workouts.
5. Don't forget fiber: Eating high-fiber foods helps digestion, helps to flush excess waste and fat out of the system, keeps you feeling full, and keeps everything regular. Women should aim for 25 grams of fiber daily, men should aim for 38 grams per day.
6. Avoid 'quick fix' diets & late night munching: And remember to always eat breakfast and have a small snack every 3 hours. Avoid eating heavy meals in the evening and leave an 1.5 hour window between your last bite and hitting the sack.
7. Age is just a number: Although your metabolism does slow down as you get older, this doesn't mean that you will never again fit into your skinny jeans. Increasing lean muscle mass will help your body burn more calories and fat around the midsection. To stay focused and on track, set up a consistent, regular program geared toward your abdominal goals.
Armed with these simple tips, are you ready to strengthen your abs and wow your husband on the honeymoon? Post a comment to share your thoughts!