It's a question as old as time... what to do with that damn bridesmaid's dress?
(a great resource if you're a DIY
kind of gal) recently held a contest
and the winner turned hers into a pillow!
Here are the directions:
1. Remove all bows, ruffles, and ties from the dress using a seam ripper or sharp scissors. These will be your accents.
2. Use the bottom half of the dress for the body of the pillow. Cut the bottom of the dress away from the top, and slit it along the vertical seam to make one big piece of fabric. Using the bottom section of the dress, cut out an envelope-back pillow case. It should be the same width as your pillow blank and twice the length, plus 4”. (So, a 12” x 12” pillow blank would need a 12” x 28” piece of fabric.) Using a sewing machine or needle and thread, hem each end of the fabric. Fold it into an envelope shape, wrong side out, with the end pieces overlapping by about 4”.
3. Sew along the sides of the case, leaving a 1/2” seam. Turn inside out and press it with the iron.
4. Attach the bows and baubles to the face side of the pillow, either by tacking them on or by sewing larger pieces into the seams.
5. Tuck your pillow blank into the opening of the pillow cover.
6. Banish the rest of the dress to the scrap heap.
What do you think? Will your bridesmaids
be turning their dresses into pillows? Do you have any creative ideas for “re-using” any of your old bridesmaid’s dresses?