A few days ago, I received a great question from a bride-to-be. She inspired a new blog series, HABO
aka Help a Bride Out!
Here's what she had to say...
Dear Savvy Scoop,
I'm the first of my friends to get married so I don't have experience being a bridesmaid. I'm trying to get a feel for what is most typically expected from the bridal party. Is it acceptable to ask the bridesmaids to get their hair and makeup done? If so, is this something I should cover or do the girls pay for the services themselves? How about the shoes? If I want all the 'maids in coordinating heels, who pays? The bride or each of the bridesmaids? I want my wedding to be perfect and I want to honor my bridesmaids, not burden them.
I've shared my two cents with this first-time bride, but I'm hoping to offer insight from other wedding pros
. If you have thoughts on this topic
, tweet @OneWed
or email SavvyScoop@OneWed.com
. Or, post your tips in the comment section below! If your advice is top-notch, we'll publish your tips
right here on the Savvy Scoop! Don't forget to include the name of your company so we can give you an extra special shout out!
Tips, Tricks and Thoughts from the Experts
• A great idea is to “gift" the heels to your bridesmaids if you want them to wear same shoes. The bride should cover the cost of any purchase she’s requiring of her bridesmaid beyond the dress. Terrica, Cocktails and Details
• The bridesmaid pays for the dress and shoes, and professional hair and make-up can be covered by the bride or the bridesmaid. Any coordinating accessories or jewelry can be the bride’s thank-you gift to her 'maids. Dani, Weddings by Dani
• It's definitely okay to ask your bridesmaids to cover the hair and makeup expense, the shoes, etc.... Just remember these are your friends so don't ask them to do anything you wouldn't do if the roles were reversed. Todd, Todd E. Swenson Photography
• My favorite is always 'Remember the maid in bridesmaid is not meant to be taken literally!' Marta, GigMasters
• If you’re picky and insist on the bridal party getting their hair and makeup professionally done, the bride typically incurs the cost. wedding pro #coordinator, Simply Elegant Event& Floral Design