In July 2009 we held an amazing contest. We gave away platinum wedding rings worth $4,500. To be entered in this contest, women had to tell us their stories of how THEY would (or did, or might) propose if they had been the ones to ask the question.
The winner was chosen randomly, but we received so many amazing entries we just had to find a way to share some of them with you. Check back every week for a new article featuring a new proposal theme.
This week, we give you stories of women who wanted to use their first date as inspiration for the proposal.
(some stories have been edited for space reasons)
1. I would take my boyfriend to the lighthouse in Milwaukee, which is where we went on our first date. I would ask him there, then I would take him to the Pfister's bar (a 360 degree view bar on the top floor) and hopefully have a drink to celebrate.
2. As odd as this might seem, I would like to propose under the hood of my car.
Last year my car was having ignition problems, so I called my brother to help. I was stuck at a gas station almost out of gas, because you could pull the key out of the ignition but the car kept running (crazy, I know).
Anyway, my brother drove 20 miles to help me and he brought his friend, I’ve never looked back. So, I would propose under the hood of my car, where it all started.
3. I met Carl four years ago, in our hometown. I watched this silly guy dancing all night and all I could thing was, “Please, God don't let him say anything to me.” Naturally, as I was leaving I walked past him in the parking lot and he said, "Do you want to go to church?" The idiot had a tambourine in his hand. I kept walking. He kept following me, asking for my number. I finally yelled it out, thinking he wouldn’t remember it. About two hours later, at around 5am, he called me. We talked for a couple of minutes then I fell back asleep, while still holding the phone. When I woke up three hours later, he was still talking. From that day on we have been inseparable. I want to propose to him in that same spot in the parking lot, down on my knees, holding a tambourine and one of your platinum rings.
4. We met when were 15, working at our first jobs at Subway. Since I was the one to first ask him out, I've decided after 10 years of dating and waiting that I need to again take charge again and propose. My idea is to go to lunch at the same Subway we first laid eyes on each other and propose at the same table where we had our first kiss.
5. On the last day of August, I am planning to propose to my sweetie, Leon. It’s our anniversary and I think it’s time! Our first date involved lunch and an afternoon walking along the coast of Brooklyn, so I am planning to ask him to lunch and to walk along that same strip. Before the walk, I will have placed four painted signs with the words to the famous question, Will You Marry Me? Leon notices every little detail wherever we go so I don’t think he will miss the message. But if he does, I am going to place a fifth sign further down the strip that says, “Leon Go Back – the message is for you.” I will have painted the back of the signs in reverse so he will be able to look back and see the message down the strip. Then I’ll get down on one knee and tell this wonderful man that I adore him and want to spend the rest of my life with him.
6. If I could pick a perfect proposal to my boyfriend; I would take him back to the place where we first met. We were on a band trip in high school and we met at the Grand Canyon. It was snowing that day and it was the first time it had snowed at the Grand Canyon in many years. I would take him back and propose to him while looking at the stars. I think that he would love it because he loves sitting outside at night and looking at the stars. I would tell him how much I loved him and how that first day 8 years ago was one of the best days of my life.
7. I met my boyfriend in high school during sophomore year. I had no clue he was interested in me at the time, but he started hanging around my group of friends and would often teasingly tug my hair, which would cause me to chase after him to kick him. This would be the beginning of something great. I started to fall for him, and we eventually went to Junior Prom together. However, it wasn’t until the end of Senior Year that we were really into each other. We went to a park/lake for his graduation party and took paddle boats out onto the lake. When we came back, we started holding hands and he kissed me at the end of the night and I giggled. If I were to propose to him, I would bring us back to that same lake under the stars. We would have a picnic in the park, and then paddle out into the lake where I would tell him how amazing these 4 years have been together, how much I truly love him, and how honored I would be if he would accept this ring and be my husband.