Special to OneWed by Erica O'Brien of Erica Obrien Cake Design
The inspiration for you wedding cake can come from just about anywhere: a family heirloom that has gret sentimental value, a fabulous print that works with your wedding colors, or the décor from the restaurant where you had your first date. If you’re not sure how to interpret your inspiration into a cake design, consult with your baker. Most cake designers today are artists as well as bakers and can help you translate your ideas into cake.
Below, Erica Obrien shares several examples of creative wedding cake design inspiration...
1. Using contemporary interior design elements can be an effective way to make your cake more fashion-forward. Erica designed the cake belows based on Jonathan Adler’s geometric Nixon Rug.
2. The gray ruffle cake was based on a pillow found on Etsy.
3. The fall leaves cake was inspired by the print on a Gymboree dress Erica saw a little girl wearing at a party.
4. Many brides use images from their invitations for their cake designs. Here we see four different invitations, all by The Wedding Paper Divas, and the cakes they inspired.
5. Your wedding cake is a great way to include a nod to your ethnic heritage. The inspiration for this lotus cake came from an old Indian painting that had special meaning to the groom and his family.
Are you feeling inspired? How will you help create your dream wedding cake?