The great Yves Saint Laurent once said, "Fashions fade, style is eternal...". And we couldn't agree more!
While we do our best to always keep you up on the latest trends in weddings and bridal style, we want you to feel empowered to plan a wedding that's perfect for you... regardless of what's trending at the moment. Because as we all know, trends are fleeting and fashions fade! Wondering where I'm going with this?
I recently received the new Style Me Vintage: Weddings book by Annabel Beeforth (the gal behind Love My Dress blog), and it's a true gem that every vintage-loving bride should read! Not only does it showcase inspiration and ideas from the Edwardian Era all the way to the fab 1970s, it delivers a whole lot of eye candy plus handy lists of suppliers, vendors, and labels you can trust for your vintage wedding.
I wanted to share one of my favorite sections from Style Me Vintage: Weddings with you today, because it answers a question I get all the time. Why Wear Vintage?
Beeforth offers seven compelling reasons in her book, including...
1. One of a kind. Every vintage wedding dress represents a unique piece of history, so you can guarantee that you'll be the only bride wearing it. Variety is also a major plus, as there are over 100 years worth of styles available to choose from.
2. Current fashions / trends aren't important. In researching what vintage looks work best for you, you'll also discover more about your own personal style, and the ideal silhouettes to flatter your curves.
3. Fine craftsmanship. Most vintage gowns were made pre-mass commercial manufacturing, which translates into beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail.
4. Best bang for your buck. Almost all authentic vintage wedding dresses will cost less than modern-day replicas and designer wedding gowns.
5. A style for every body type. The wedding dress styles synonymous with certain eras tend to favor particular body types. And since Style Me Vintage: Weddings takes you through all the different eras, it's easy to zero in on your most flattering styles. A few examples below...
Want to know the rest? You'll have to pick up a copy of Style Me Vintage: Weddings to see what two reasons round out the list! Hopefully the five pointers above give you a great start though, and inspire you to think old when shopping for your dream dress!
Will you wear vintage down the aisle? Why or why not? Share your thoughts and style, brideys!