Awhile back, WWD asked the great Vera Wang to share her top tips for brides on everything from fashion to beauty, flowers and photography.
And today we're sharing this wisdom with you... so that your walk down the aisle is everything you've dreamed about and more!
1 - Comfort Is Key: You must love your wedding day look, and feeling comfortable when you walk down the aisle is incredibly important. If you feel comfortable, you'll radiate confidence, making you the most beautiful blushing bride around!
2 - Showcase Your Style: Determine the vibe and/or theme of your wedding while taking into account your venue, the season and time of day. Your wedding dress (the volume, silhouette, proportions, detailing, etc.) should mesh with the other elements of your I Do's.
- While choosing a gown that flatters your figure is major, remember that the dress is not only about how it looks on your body. It should help tell the story of your wedding day!
- Don't focus all of your energy and attention on the dress, and make sure your bridal accessories aren't an afterthought.
4 - Go Understated With Your Bouquet: If you're crazy about your gown (you should be!), go easy on the bouquet. Bouquets that are too big, loud, or statement-making will detract from your gown, so remember that less is more.
5 - The Long & Short Of It: Hem lengths are key! A dress that's too long in front is treacherous, and a bride tripping down the aisle is even worse.
- Make sure your wedding dress is long enough to cover your shoes, but short enough so that it floats above in the front. You shouldn't have to lift the dress in order to float down the aisle.
6 - STEP INTO YOUR DRESS! Speaking of dresses... No matter what silhouette, neckline or level of volume you're working with, step into your wedding dress and do not (I repeat, DO NOT) pull it on over your head. I once had a bride get red lipstick on the front of her dress when she pulled it on over her head.
- During the wedding reception, maintain a safe distance from anyone with colorful cocktails or makeup.
7 - Be Yourself Beauty: Think about your makeup and don't go too wild. Your wedding is not the time to try out different, dramatic makeup looks for the first time. Stick to what you know! Personally, I’m not crazy about strong red lipstick with a white wedding dress. But in general...
- Avoid any makeup that makes you look caked or disguised, and the same goes for your wedding hair. Don't let your stylist get too elaborate with your hairstyle or accessories. It's all about editing!
8 - Timeless Wedding Heels: I prefer a wedding shoe on the quieter side. A shoe with a tapered toe box is a lovely choice. I'm not into blinged-out wedding heels since they detract attention from the dress.
- If you and your fiancé are the same height, a little kitten heel is nice, and if your man is tall, platform heels are perfect.
9 - Black & White + Color, Oh My!: It's just as important to have black & white wedding photos done as it is to have color. I adore black and white photos because they're forever chic and classic.
- You put so much labor and love into the wedding planning so take your time when walking back down the aisle. Let them see (and die over!) you and your gorgeous dress!
What do you think of Vera's wedding day tips? Post a comment to share your thoughts, and your best advice for brides!