Special to onewed by Erik Braunitzer of Douglas Elliman
Creating beautiful, memorable wedding table centerpieces doesn’t have to translate into breaking the budget, especially if you do-it-yourself! And if you’re a crafty bride, preparing your own DIY centerpieces can actually help diffuse some of the wedding planning stress, assuming you don’t wait until the night before to get started ☺ Below you'll find five chic, inexpensive and creative ideas for wedding reception centerpieces your guests’ won’t soon forget!
- 1. Calla Lilly Centerpiece: Calla Lilies are one of the most affordable flower types, especially if purchased in season. And because of their large size, you’ll need fewer of them for each arrangement. Calla lilies can be simply placed in clear or colored glass vases, or head to a thrift store for assorted vintage glass bottles to add a unique antique touch. You can create your own vases from recycled glass bottles, and pour craft paint inside (in hues coordinating with your wedding color palette) to make them stand out. Canisters, mason jars and other containers can be creatively refitted for this purpose using fabric (lace, burlap) or decorative paper and ribbons.
2. Paper flowers: Get skilled in various paper flower designs by searching for intricate origami blooms that speak to you. You can find many beautiful templates and how-to guides online, or you can purchase paper blooms from artists on Etsy. In addition to being unique, paper flowers are also eco-friendly! If you choose to DIY, use colored tissue paper to create and shape the blooms, then using a hot-glue gun, attach the flowers to real branches for a striking, oriental look.
- 3. Light & warmth: Paper or glass lanterns, also known as luminaries, can make very memorable wedding table centerpieces, and the lighting effect will give your ambiance an elegant touch. You can buy rice paper to create luminaries, or make lanterns using inexpensive photo frames. Intricate designs can be cut into the rice paper using a cutting mold, and if using photo frames, pieces of vellum paper can be etched with special messages and inserted into the frames, and one can hold a special photo of the couple. Place a tea light inside each luminary, and you’re done!
4. Modern & bright: Create an innovative wedding centerpiece perfect for your modern wedding using a glass bowl, vase, or container (like the elegant glasses below), clear marbles or glass gems, and colored liquid-activated LED gel cubes. Simply fill the vase with the marbles or gems and water, and add a few colored LED cubes. The LED cubes will activate upon contact with the water and will create a great effect when the lights bounce through the water and gems.
- 5. Classic & romantic: This centerpiece is perfect for an evening wedding! Fill glass bowls or hurricane vases with water and drop in a floating tea light or two, depending on the size of the bowl. Add a drop of food coloring and a handful of petals (or a single orchid bloom), and your romantic wedding centerpiece is complete.
- Creating your own DIY wedding centerpieces is a great way to let your personality and creativity really shine through! And it’ll open up some wiggle room in your limited wedding budget.
- What other affordable DIY wedding centerpieces do you love? We're still swooning over these lace-adorned mason jar centerpieces!
- Special thanks to New York City Rentals for sharing this inspiration!