Although we can't help but love the bold lips and dramatic cat eyes we're seeing on more and more brides these days, neutrals topped our list of trends for 2013 weddings...and not just for color palettes, decor, and flowers, but for bridal makeup too!
Neutral makeup shades include tones naturally found in the skin, like peach, rose, bronze and plum. Makeup extraordinaire Bobbi Brown suggests (in the April 2013 issue of Real Simple) choosing neutral hues within two shades (darker or lighter) of the natural color of your lips, cheeks or eyelids to achieve your most flattering neutral face. But here's the beauty breakdown for each type of complexion:
For brides with Fair Skin...
- Most flattering neutrals? Light pink and peach.
- Best for the eyes? Rosy beige, translucent silvery blue-pink.
- Shades to avoid? Colors with brown undertones and rust tones.
For brides with Medium Skin...
- Is my complexion medium? If your skin tone would be categorized as pink, olive, gold or bronze, then the answer is yes! So if you fall on the darker side of the medium spectrum, choose colors a bit brighter and warmer (think orange-pink blush or lipstick).
- Best for the eyes? Shimmery shades in the copper family.
- Mix sparkle with matte! Play up your favorite feature (like killer cheekbones or gorgeous almond eyes) with a shimmery product, and choose matte shades for the rest.
For brides with Dark Skin...
- A wide range of flattering neutrals... from brick red to plum.
- Best pick for golden undertones? A fiery orange blush!
- Best picks for cool undertones? Grape shades and deeper metallics like gold and bronze.
- Pucker up with? Lipsticks and glosses in the reddish brown family.
Now go get beautiful brideys! And don't forget to share your thoughts on our Spring wedding makeup guide in the comments section below!