This past Saturday, I planned a day of fun for that special someone in my life. I don’t claim to be a planner… in fact, I’m more of a “fly by the seat of your pants” kind of gal. So, I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about how it would all go down.
Luckily it was a success, and a fun, romantic date that can be easily recreated, no matter where you live!
1) Art: We hit up four or five art galleries in Chicago, each with a different look and feel. Art galleries are great because they are…
Quiet and visually stimulating
Off the beaten path: we had nearly every gallery all to ourselves
2) Wine: Find a wine shop in your area with a tasting bar, or better yet, free tastings! Just Grapes in Chicago is a fantastic little shop with the most unique, undiscovered wines and sparkling wines, and offers free tastings on Saturdays. Why I loved this part of the date…
Free (if you have a spot like Just Grapes in your area)
Trying something different: my guy hadn’t dabbled much in red wines, so the tasting gave me the opportunity to introduce him to something new
Challenged our senses: for each wine we tasted, we tried to pinpoint one specific component (on the nose, palate, or finish) before reading the description
- Who doesn’t love a good afternoon buzz? And we picked up two fabulous bottles to bring home with us
3) Food: I packed a picnic before the date, and it was totally easy and delicious!
- Chocolate covered strawberries
: I picked up two bags of Ghirardelli baking chips, one milk chocolate and one white chocolate. I covered the berries in the milk chocolate, drizzled the white chocolate on top, popped them in the fridge, and Voila!
- Cheese and crackers
: Since the date was all about trying new things, I chose three unique, distinct cheeses, one of which I highly recommend!
The Drunken Goat from Spain
is a semi-soft artisan goat cheese which has been soaked in red wine, and was delicious.
- Hummus and pita chips
: This one is totally up to you, but Sabra hummus
and Stacy’s pita chips
are simply two of my favorite snacks ever!
- And, of course, the sparkling wine purchased at the wine tasting!
So, if you are ever looking for an easy, romantic, stress-free way to spend a Saturday, use some or all of these tips to surprise the one you love!