Located in Deep Ellum at the corner of Hickory Street and Second Avenue, near the Pearlstone Grain Elevator, this complex of buildings was originally a distribution center for Gulf Oil Company. Constructed in 1921, it served Gulf Oil Corporation’s North Texas region by providing automobile maintenance facilities for Gulf’s vehicles and storage space for its customer and automobile products. The seven buildings in the complex retain their original character – an office building, a pumphouse, an automobile service building, and a large warehouse building. While most of the buildings are one story, the warehouse is two stories with a full basement. It has the “Gulf Oil Corporation” ghost sign on the east side, visible from the freeway. The ceramic capped parapets provide character to the complex, while the tongue and groove roofs, which are supported by a massive double span of iron trusses, make the property an engineering masterpiece. Gulf Oil Corporation moved from this site in the late 1950’s. From the 1950’s to the 1980’s, it was the home of C.H.Collier Company. This company maintained and repaired hydraulic systems on forklifts. In the mid 80’s, Elm Development and 5/828 Properties, Inc. purchased the property. Hickory Street Annex housed a variety of occupants, including Moonstruck Theater and the Deep Ellum Opera Company. Gary Kaelson purchased the property in 1997 and maintains the property for his tenants. Today, the property has evolved from an oil distribution center to a thriving new creative community with many of the spaces leased out to successful small businesses.